Go Back   HammerTalk > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 11-13-2007, 07:45 PM

Default Offset Thumb hole

what does this do for you? I've seen it on a few balls online, just not around here.
Cherry Vibe
Gravity Shift
Black Widow Pearl
AVG: 203
Old 11-13-2007, 07:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to 5chmitty

i believe we discussed this before. I think its actually just an optical illusion becuz of the different length of your fingers

HG: 299, 298, 297
HS:776
Real Deal, Black Widow Pearl, Black Widow Solid, Maxim
Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM

This is the kind of question that has alot of dicussion in the ball drilling world

The offset thumb is a misnomer. All that you are really doing is changing the span to the ring finger and changeing the pitch in the thumb hole. With 3 points, you can not move one point,(the thumb) without changing the length to the other point.(ring finger) Usually you end up with more left lateral in the thumb and a longer ring finger span. Bowlers have this done if they are having a problem of not getting their thumb out of the ball clean. Also some bowler who have their thumb offset say they get a better release overall on the ball

You might want to try a center line shift drilling as well. It is also known as the CLT layout.

Dont be afraid to experiment. As long as the pitches match up, you wont strain your hand.

Last edited by BubbaRay; 11-14-2007 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:47 PM

really, you ring finger span is naturally longer than your middle finger span will be because of the distance from your thumb to your ring finger is greater than the distance from the middle finger to the thumb.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:23 AM

i have wanted to try this before. i think that i might.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:43 AM

I use what I've always called an offset thumb. But I like Bubba's term "centerline shift"

When I layout a ball, the center of my thumb hole is shifted or offset to the left.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:58 AM

Here's how the centerline shift layout is done.

1. Draw the centerline and midline of the persons grip on a ball that fits them very well.

2. Place persons thumb in the ball so that their fingers lay across the finger holes.

3. Take a pencil and draw a line from the center of the finger holes toward the grip midline between your fingers following the angle of the fingers.
You are looking for the angle that the fingers are in reference to their thumb.

4. Now you must take the dimensions form the center point to the two points of the triangle youhave created. These dimensions are what you will use to set up the new ball to be drilled with a CLT Drilling.

5. Create the same lines using the dimensions off the other ball. Also draw a line perpendicularto the new finger centerline. That will help you rotate the grips to the proper angle. The angled line that you have created will be you centerline for drilling the finger holes.

There is many different ways people set up the ball to be drilled. Some drill thumb first others drill fingers first. It doesnt matter
6. The angled line that you have created by drawing between the fingers becomes the new centerline for drilling the fingers. Rotate the ball so that the new centerline is straight up anddown when the ball is in the jig. Set your pitches, line-up the bit to your lines and punch the hole.

7. Repeat step 6. For the other finger.

8. Rotate grips to be parallel to the line you drew in step 5.

This grip will help the hand lay a little flatter on the ball and to most people it feels more comfortable.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:45 AM

Talking

Bubba,
I have to agree with you on some of the things you stated,disagree with you on others.Yes,moving the thumb left will increase your ring finger span.But if you line the thumb hole up directly under the middle finger,and adjust the span of the ring finger accordingly,it is actually an offset thumb.I actually offset my thumb 3/8 left of the original grip center line.And,yes it does produce a cleaner release.I have also done this for many of my customers,and never had any complaints.There is actually a name for this drilling,which I can never remember,but anyway.......Can the same be accomplished by just dropping the ring finger,yeah kinda,but I have tried both,and its just not the same.Prior to using the offset,I used to use 3/8 reverse pitch in the thumb,since I went to the offset I now use 1/4 forward,with no problems.
Hammer Raw Anger
Hammer Cherry Vibe
Hammer Switch Blade(just out of retirement)

Brunswick Black Phantom
Old 11-14-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaRay View Post
Here's how the centerline shift layout is done.

1. Draw the centerline and midline of the persons grip on a ball that fits them very well.

2. Place persons thumb in the ball so that their fingers lay across the finger holes.

3. Take a pencil and draw a line from the center of the finger holes toward the grip midline between your fingers following the angle of the fingers.
You are looking for the angle that the fingers are in reference to their thumb.

4. Now you must take the dimensions form the center point to the two points of the triangle youhave created. These dimensions are what you will use to set up the new ball to be drilled with a CLT Drilling.

5. Create the same lines using the dimensions off the other ball. Also draw a line perpendicularto the new finger centerline. That will help you rotate the grips to the proper angle. The angled line that you have created will be you centerline for drilling the finger holes.

There is many different ways people set up the ball to be drilled. Some drill thumb first others drill fingers first. It doesn’t matter
6. The angled line that you have created by drawing between the fingers becomes the new centerline for drilling the fingers. Rotate the ball so that the new centerline is straight up anddown when the ball is in the jig. Set your pitches, line-up the bit to your lines and punch the hole.

7. Repeat step 6. For the other finger.

8. Rotate grips to be parallel to the line you drew in step 5.

This grip will help the hand lay a little flatter on the ball and to most people it feels more comfortable.
Ok, so how would this be done from scratch. Meaning a person that does not have a ball to reference.

I draw my cut lines and the span is set from there. Then "shift" the thumb center line to either the left or right. The fingers are squared to the original center line. The span does not change when making this shift.

Most will agree that a properly fit bowling ball is the most important part of the game. I also feel that reading a persons hand to make that proper fit, is the most difficult part of the process.

Last edited by bluerrpilot; 11-14-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:08 AM

to do this you must have a ball that already fits properly. Then you transfer the measurements on the new ball