Go Back   HammerTalk > Main Category > Main Forum

Old 02-26-2008, 10:34 PM

Default Over under reaction

Could somone tell me what an "over/under"reaction is and what causes it.Not sure if i ever witnessed or been subject to it,but would like some info.Also, what adjustments should be done to combat that reaction.
Total NV HG-246

HG-278
HS-657
League Avg.-175

http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...wling%20Balls/
Old 02-26-2008, 10:46 PM

An over/under reaction is a condition that occurs when a ball is thrown over the same breakpoint, but one time is comes high and another time it skids out. The best way to combat this is to use a ball that has a dull surface, somewhere around 2000 abralon. Or you could also use a ball that has a stronger pin position/mb position. This will allow the ball to get into it's roll earlier and will help with burning off some of the energy in the heads to kill the over/under reaction that you may be seeing.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:51 PM

The fix for Over/Under is to move off the line a bit. Usually I move 2 and 1. Two boards for the feet and 1 board for the mark. You're trying to stay in the oil until the ball gets to where you want it to break.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:02 PM

hmmm,would that reaction happen more often on synthetics rather than on wood lanes?
Total NV HG-246

HG-278
HS-657
League Avg.-175

Old 02-26-2008, 11:04 PM

I would think it would be more a function of the oil and how much is laid down. And how much traffic is on and through your line.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:14 PM

Thank you guys.I was just wondering since i've only bowled mostly on wooden lanes and not so much on synthetics.Ive noticed that the oil holds up longer on synthetics and on wooden lanes the friction in the backends seems more apparent.Of course i have to consider how the oil is laid out all the time and how differently.thanx again for the info.
Total NV HG-246

HG-278
HS-657
League Avg.-175

Old 02-27-2008, 06:34 AM

First off the previous definition of over/under reaction given is not the traditional definition. An over/under reaction occurs on lanes with a very high gradiation. In other words it occurs when there is a large difference in the amount of oil on the outside boards compared to the inside boards. On such conditions it is possible to have a right handed bowler miss his mark to the right and have his ball end up high while at the same time if he misses his mark to the left his ball ends up low. This is the opposite of what is expected, and can cause problems when you try to adjust your shot to find the pocket. You can avoid it in many ways. Playing a lower flaring rolly ball, and avoiding the transition line are common.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acvar View Post
First off the previous definition of over/under reaction given is not the traditional definition. An over/under reaction occurs on lanes with a very high gradiation. In other words it occurs when there is a large difference in the amount of oil on the outside boards compared to the inside boards. On such conditions it is possible to have a right handed bowler miss his mark to the right and have his ball end up high while at the same time if he misses his mark to the left his ball ends up low. This is the opposite of what is expected, and can cause problems when you try to adjust your shot to find the pocket. You can avoid it in many ways. Playing a lower flaring rolly ball, and avoiding the transition line are common.
I think you're thinking of wet/dry conditions. Similar to an over/under reaction.
Cell
Clear Wolf

Accomplishments this Season (Fall):
High Game: 279
Low Game: 137
High League Avg ( of 3): 183
Old 02-27-2008, 10:38 AM

I also bowl on wood lanes and over/under is very common due to worn track area. Generally like stated above, you use a ball with more surface.I have also lately gone to using a weaker ball and playing straighter up the track area. But it takes a lot of experimentation and usually a few diff balls to try. I had that advantage til this week !. But I now have enough equiptment to get me by now
Old 02-27-2008, 11:25 AM

Over/under occurs when the lane condition has an exreme wet/dry area. If you miss your target left, you miss the head pin right. If you miss your target right, you miss the pocket to the left. (this is for a righthander) This type of ball reaction can occur if a track area has devoloped on the lane pattern . Over comming and over/under conditions is difficult at times but with the right choice of equipment it can be overcome.. A highly polished ball can also cause an over/under condition in ball reaction.