Go Back   HammerTalk > Bowling Tips and Techniques

Old 06-10-2008, 07:14 PM

Default Rolling over Thumb Hole

I am a stroker, when I release my BWP (thumb @ 10 o'clock) it seems my ball is going over the thumb hole (very very high track) before it hits the dry and go in. Is there any disadvantge? when I try to rotate/flick my wrist, my track and axis becomes inconsistent.

Question, my thumb is now at the 10 oclock position thru out my swing. will this style inhibit my growth as a bowler? my avg now is about 180, hi game @ 224. Pls advice

Balls in da bag:

Taboo
Swagga
Nasty
Plague
Jigsaw Corner
BWV
Psycho
HG: 245
Avg: 180

Coming: Cube (Hopefully?)
Old 06-10-2008, 07:41 PM

The disadvantages of running over the thumb is your not going to be gettign all of the hook potential out of the bal that you should be getting and its going to mess with the hitting power of the ball most likley because its not going to be rolling into the pins like it should if its always going over the thumb.

Also keeping your hand that way and never changing hand positions will limit your growth as a bowler because hand positions are a key part to this game and they will help you adjust on a lot of conditions without having to move your feet or change balls, or say if one ball is hooking too much and one is not hooking enough, well instead of struggling you could pick the stronger ball and do a weaker wrist position to cut down on the hook and it would work or vice versa with the weak ball and a strong wrist position.

ARSENAL:
Mission(soon coming)
Onyx Vibe
Pinslasher
Motiv QZ1
BWC
Old 06-10-2008, 08:01 PM

I had the same problem for a while. Dropping my middle a bit on my layouts and changing the pitch of it helped me come around the side of the ball more and lower my track.
Cell
Clear Wolf

Accomplishments this Season (Fall):
High Game: 279
Low Game: 137
High League Avg ( of 3): 183
Old 06-10-2008, 10:05 PM

The main reason for your ball tracking on your thumb hole is your release. Different drillings will help get the track to move off of the thumb hole, but it may take a slightly different release on your part to get it started off of the thumb hole. It sounds like you need to spin the ball a bit more with a counter clockwise rotation of the wrist.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:17 AM

the only time my track rolls over my thumb hole is when i roll spare shots. i agree with everyone else that it will hinder your ball reaction. definitely work on making an adjustment to your release; you'll like what you get. and maybe even look into different drill layouts to help as well, like bubba said.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samltk1977 View Post
I am a stroker, when I release my BWP (thumb @ 10 o'clock) it seems my ball is going over the thumb hole (very very high track) before it hits the dry and go in. Is there any disadvantge? when I try to rotate/flick my wrist, my track and axis becomes inconsistent.

Question, my thumb is now at the 10 oclock position thru out my swing. will this style inhibit my growth as a bowler? my avg now is about 180, hi game @ 224. Pls advice
Try getting the thumb to 12 o'clock at release. Then rotate the fingers as the thumb comes out. That should get you off the thumbhole.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Default Thanks

Got a friend to coach me over the weekend. now trying to relearn the basics again... will update with a video/pic when can. thanks for the advices pple.

Balls in da bag:

Taboo
Swagga
Nasty
Plague
Jigsaw Corner
BWV
Psycho
HG: 245
Avg: 180

Coming: Cube (Hopefully?)